My guest this week is Seth Familian, who specializes in connecting powerful web-based tools and services to create highly customized marketing + analytics experiences for product and content marketing teams. He is the founder and principal of Familian&1, a visual insights and automation consultancy whose work has benefitted companies including Cisco, RingCentral, Adorama and Cloud9. Seth is also an avid educator with experience teaching over 800 students in 40+ workshops on Visual Design with Data, Working with Big Data, Digital Tools for Business and Affordable Web Design. He has lectured at General Assembly, Galvanize, Impact HUB SF, Presidio Graduate School, the Haas School of Business and KQED.
Seth received his MBA from UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business in 2007 and his BA from Harvard University in 2001. He is based in Boulder, CO and works from Galvanize Boulder.
If you are a CIO, CMO, an entrepreneur, a CIO who is expected to also be a CMO or a CISO who wants to better present data…Regardless of your situation all will benefit from this conversation.
Major Take-Aways From This Episode:
- Why it is important to build visual design skills into your team?
- What are the big errors in data visualization and storytelling
- Seth’s favorite tools you have to look at:
- Concept of Scrollytelling
- Mixpanel - Most advanced analytics platform for mobile and web
- Intercom - Customer messaging platform
- Segment - Customer data platform
- Google TAG manager - Free tool that makes it easy for marketers to add and update website tags
- Skitch - Evernote application that tries to make information as easy to relay virtually as it is in real life, by capturing screenshots and annotating them
- Time-saving tactics with creating effective visual presentations of data
- His presentations on Slideshare are great. One of them - Visual Design with data got 500k + views
- Visualization Strategies for IT Execs, Tools, Ideas on how they can be more successful
- Ways to leverage cloud apps + infrastructure to shorten implementation times
- Different trends I'm noticing in data viz and storytelling (like Scrollytelling). Check out the Guardian Newspaper article about Hollman Square to see an example of Scrollytelling. In a world of high complexity, business IT leaders need ways to visualize data and, more importantly, context in data in the ways that engage business leaders
Read full transcript here.
How to get in touch with Seth Familian
This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard, a powerful tool that helps you communicate the status of your IT Security program visually in just a few minutes.
* Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Other Ways To Listen to the Podcast
iTunes | Libsyn | Soundcloud | RSS | LinkedIn
Leave a Review
If you enjoyed this episode, then please consider leaving an iTunes review here
Click here for instructions on how to leave an iTunes review if you're doing this for the first time.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader. Follow Bill on LinkedIn and Twitter.