In Episode #38 Bill interviews Eric Vanderburg, a thought-leader and Director of Information Systems and Security at JurInnov, a cyber security and forensics company that helps businesses get back on their feet following a security breach. Listen as Bill and Eric discuss life as “Sherriff of the Internet,” virtual versus augmented reality, and various elements of upscale IT security.
- CIO Security Scoreboard – Go to VisualCIO.com to learn more about how to communicate the status of your IT Security program visually and in minutes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Bill welcomes Eric to the show
- 02:01 – What it’s like being the “Sherriff of the Internet”?
- 03:10 – Microsoft Hololens—Microsoft’s take on Google Glass
- 04:48 – Eric defines an innovative, real world application for Microsoft Hololens
- 05:47 – Fashion
- 07:31 – Other applications for Hololens
- 07:59 – Video conferencing
- 08:53 – Eric defines his idea generating process
- 09:39 – Virtual reality is cutting us away from the real world, whereas augmented reality allows reality and the virtual to coexist
- 10:49 – The problem with technology is that it allows us to connect at such grand scale that—in some ways—it prevents us from actually connecting
- 11:30 – Virtual reality and augmented reality are both industry terms
- 12:19 – How Eric forms his ideas and brings them to market
- 13:27 – Eric’s top 2-3 sites for leveraging security information
- 14:44 – Ideas can be lost real fast—capture them as they arise
- 16:09 – David Cross of Microsoft Azure
- 16:50 – Muse
- 18:58 – Data can help us to train our brains
- 19:19 – Heartmath
- 21:25 – The medical device industry is growing at 400% per year in terms of technological advancement
- 21:46 – Explaining corporate espionage and how inter-company hacks work
- 23:34 – The dark web makes it incredibly easy to perform corporate espionage
- 24:44 – Countries go through a maturity process where technologies are simply stolen
- 27:00 – Eric’s role as an expert witness in IT Security trials
- 29:15 – The importance of the investigative track
- 30:00 – eDiscovery as it pertains to email and file systems
- 31:09 – Before adopting a technology, you need to fully understand and appreciate all the potential impact it can have
- 32:20 – You can say something 1000x times but until it actually happens to them, most people don’t pay attention to all the risks
- 33:08 – Top questions for a CIO to ask to start the impetus to plan for an attack
- 36:48 – Hybrid clouds versus full-cloud deployments
- 38:44 – When data is in unstructured file types, the normal tools used to run against it are ineffective
- 39:46 – Subtopic for a CIO Mastermind—finding qualified talent
- 41:01 – How AI will impact IT Security and Business IT Leadership moving forward
- 42:26 – Theses days, data is used to gather even more data, which is then used to create revenue
- 43:00 – Bots are just the new wave of malware
- 43:27 – We are in the midst of the Cold War of technology
- 44:38 – Businesses are struggling to even deploy anti-virus software
- 45:12 – It behooves business owners to evaluate the methods and means in which their IT will be used
- 46:58 – IT Security awareness needs to be ramped up
3-5 Key Points:
- The future isn’t in virtual reality, it’s in augmented reality.
- Technology has given us the ability to connect in ways never before imagined—that being said, if abused or misused, it actually drives us further apart.
- Fully understand a technology before bringing it into your home or business.
- As the years progress, expect most businesses to favor hybrid cloud solutions over full-cloud deployments.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives